Geevor at Grass

areial view of the whole of the Geevor site

Geevor is much more than a mine. Underground was just the beginning. 

There’s just as much to see and learn from the surface buildings at Geevor Tin Mine. About two- thirds of the work force of the tin mine actually worked above ground, in jobs that supported the underground or helped to process the ore into tin concentrate, the mine’s finished product.

 

Photograph reproduced with the kind permission of A Cocks at Cornwall Council

 

Brunton Calciner

Click to see a larger version of this imagedrawing of the interior of a brunton calciner

In the 1830s the Brunton Calciner was developed for arsenic recovery, which were used many Cornish mines until the 1950s.


Find out more >>

 

The Mill

Click to see a larger version of this imageinterior of the mill

By far the largest of all the surface buildings was the Mill.


Find out more >>

 

Drill shop

Click to see a larger version of this image

The original drill shop was built in 1926, to the west of Victory Shaft.


Find out more >>

 

The Sample House

Click to see a larger version of this imagesample house equipment

The Sample House was built between 1908 and 1912 and originally used for sample preparation and both Vanning and Chemical Assays.    


Find out more >>


  • View Comments
  • Leave a Comment

No comments yet...why not be the first!

Click 'Leave a Comment' above.

Name: (as you would like it to appear on the website)

Email: (this will not be displayed on the website)

Comments: